Taste Everything. Eat Nothing

August 25, 2010
Stories like this piss me off. A bare three months after some rich, white woman gives birth she’s back on the beach in a bikini telling other women how much weight she lost and how she did it.  In this case, she says she’s eating, but not like a “crazy person,” and tells other women “Taste everything. Eat nothing.”

Wow.  I’m appalled at the privilege here; this woman is so successful she can afford NOT to eat.  She’s conventionally beautiful, able-bodied, has everything the world tells us we all need to have — that we all SHOULD have — and she’s saying “Don’t eat.”

That’s the thing though, isn’t it?  Rich people can afford to diet and excersize and have WLS and a personal trainer and/or chef, but the rest of us can’t.  It’s a sign of success to be thin and to be able to stay thin and beautiful.  Fat people are unsuccesful, poor, slobs, etc.  (Don’t even get me started on how expensive cosmetics are!)

Some women, such as myself, are left with interesting scars after labour and delivery, some physical, some mental.  With C-sections on the rise, more and more women will have a long horizontal scar and an overhanging stomach for the rest of their lives (unless they can afford cosmetic surgery to fix it).

This is, obviously, not attractive according to current standards.  Stretch marks, both on the stomach and breasts, are permanent though they may fade with time.  The emotional and mental stress of labour and delivery, pressure from doctors and nurses to simply submit to their expertise — to ignore the body’s messages, to lay quiet, to be acted upon instead of act — can also leave scars, though they have little to do with physical beauty.  Post-partum depression is nothing to sneeze at either; varying from simply a couple of weeks of feeling down to outright homicidal urges, it effects a large number of women and can last for years.

The last thing any woman needs is yet another photo of a conventionally beautiful woman in a bikini telling other women not to eat, ESPECIALLY after giving birth. We’ve got more important things to think about than how we look with a new baby in the home, like how to get enough sleep, making sure we’re eating enough and our baby is feeding well.  Looking good after delivery should not be a priority for anyone.

1. August 25, 2010 11:17 am

These kinds of stories (the “Celebrity X gets pre-baby body back!”) piss me off to no end. Who gives a shit if you look the same after you have a baby? YOU HAD A BABY!

The “miracle of childbirth” has shifted from the actual act of conceiving and delivering a child to the miracle of post-partum weight loss. It’s a sad testament to where our priorities as a nation really lie.

2. August 25, 2010 11:46 am

“Taste everything; eat nothing”!?

This is giving me a disturbing mental image of someone running around, frantically licking everything in sight.

3. CollieMom01 permalink
    August 25, 2010 12:31 pm

Y’know, I just think this is SO sad–the joy of bringing a new life into this crazy world, with all the emotional ups and downs that are a part of that, and somehow, our attention is supposed to be focused on how quickly we lose the baby weight. Seriously? I used to be more optimistic, but the older I get, the more I truly feel like our culture is going to H*ll in a hand basket.

4. August 25, 2010 12:36 pm

This story made me so so so mad.

Of course, the whole “real house wives” concept makes me so so so mad, so this was nothing new.

5. dufmanno permalink
    August 25, 2010 1:59 pm

I once read some crazy article saying that Diana Ross used to chew up and taste her food and then spit it in a “bucket” without swallowing. She explained that this method let her “enjoy” flavors without actually eating it.
    Not that it has anything to do with the childbirth part of this but it does lean towards the taste everything eat nothing stuff.

6. jenincanada permalink
    August 26, 2010 8:01 am

A part of pre-labour and delivery classes should focus on the after part, not just the first couple of weeks where you’re getting the hang of having a baby in the house, but how your body is likely to change. There’s definitely an unreal expectation that women will get their body back just the way it was and quickly when the reality is it can take up to a year to get back to ‘normal’, if you ever do.

7. August 26, 2010 3:13 pm

She might be claiming she got her body ‘back’, but I know for a fact that she did not. She might be thinner, but she will NEVER have her pre-baby body, however hard she deludes herself into thinking she will.

8. August 31, 2010 5:15 am

All post pregnancy weight loss bullcrap aside, the whole thing of “Taste everything, eat nothing” is the most fucked up thing I’ve ever heard!

Can anyone say “eating disorder”?

9. lifeonfats permalink
    August 31, 2010 9:45 pm

And us fatties are the ones who apparently have issues with food. I like to eat mine, thank you very much. That’s probably why we don’t get People covers and pages devoted to actually eating and being sane at the same time.

10. September 1, 2010 8:26 am

If you mean Bethenny Frankel, I can’t stand that reality tv whore or her ilk. Why would I even think about taking advice from such a self-absorbed slag?

11. September 2, 2010 5:09 am

Do we have to call women whores or slags? I thought we’d moved past using such misogynistic terms?