Economic Sanctions —

October 28, 2010
by

Click here to participate in the Marie Claire boycott. Frequent updates, check back often.

So, Marie Claire fucked up and Maura Kelly offers a tepid apology (I only meant the REALLY fat people disgust me). I think Kelly’s culpability has played out. She sure as shit won’t fuck with fatties anytime soon.

But this issue is far from over.

Yesterday and today there has been an overwhelming response on Marie Claire’s Facebook page that has been particularly entertaining to read. Through it all, we have demanded simply an apology for allowing Kelly’s post to run in the first place and a commitment to prevent future verbal abuse.

There’s a headline in the Hollywood Reporter that reads, “Marie Claire Editor Apologizes for ‘Mike & Molly’ Attack Blog,” but when you read the actual article, you’ll notice that the apology is conspicuously absent.

“Maura Kelly is a very provocative blogger,” Coles told Fashionista.com Wednesday. “She was an anorexic herself and this is a subject she feels very strongly about.”

Coles said the writer updated her post to appear less like an “insensitive… bully” after the magazine received 28,000 complaint emails. Still Coles, who has not seen the show either, adds, “I’m concerned about a show that makes fun of large people.”

So, let me get this straight, Joanna Coles: you’re concerned about a show that makes fun of large people, but your own insulting blogger is simply “provocative”?

Fuck. That. Shit.

We’re now turning away from Marie Claire. Subscribers are canceling, fans are flooding Marie Claire with letters, and yet none of this has an impact.

It’s time to hit them where it hurts.

One of Marie Claire’s largest advertisers is Dove and their Campaign for Real Beauty. The following is from their website:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaw, Dove wants us to know that our beauty is a source of confidence, not anxiety.

How sweet; how endearing; how 2010.

Marie Claire is setting the stage for a new body revolution that Dove is clearly wanting to be a part of.

It’s called the Campaign for Real Beauty (so Long as You’re Not Morbidly Obese).

I’ve done Dove the favor of reimagining how this might look using Kelly’s “provocative” words:

(Click the image above for animated GIF goodness)

Now, for some armchair activism.

We need you to contact Dove and tell them what you think of their new campaign. Tell them we are boycotting Marie Claire and any advertisers who continue to support them until Joanna Coles issues a formal apology and commits to promoting positive body images REGARDLESS of weight.

Contact them through their website AND flood their Facebook page with your concerns.

There will be plenty of advertisers to turn to after Dove, but for now, let us focus on the one corporation whose marketing campaign claims to be body positive.

Marie Claire is playing the waiting game to see if this will blow over.

It won’t.

We must put pressure on their advertisers until we see results.

*UPDATE*

Here’s a list of some of MC’s biggest advertisers: Walmart, Garnier, Nice n’ Easy, Paul Mitchell, Ford Motor Company, Olay, Tampax, Always, Maybelline, Dole, Style and Co (Macy’s line and they have a plus size division) Vasarette.

We’re going to begin with Burberry, which is on Marie Claire’s front page. Contact them through their website and through their Facebook page.

*UPDATE 2*

Got a minute? Call Paul Mitchell and tell him to stop advertising in Marie Claire: 1-800-793-8790. Customer service is open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

*UPDATE 3*

From an awesome Jezebel commenter: Aso call the publisher of marie claire (212-649-2000 or (212) 841-8480) and ask for nancy cardone. Tell her you are contacting all of MCs advertisers to inform them if they advertise in MC you will not purchase their products.

I just called and got Nancy’s assistant who sounded really annoyed.

*UPDATE 4*

We’ve got a three-fer.

Call the following customer service numbers and request (kindly) that they no longer advertise in Marie Claire. And call Paul Mitchell and Nancy Cardone AGAIN (info above). Keep the pressure on!

• Maybelline — 877 456 5287 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST
  • Tampax — 800 523 0014
  • Always — 800 888 3115

*UPDATE 5*

Time to focus on Dove. Call Dove and ask them to stop advertising in Marie Claire:

Dove — 800 761 DOVE (3683)

1. October 28, 2010 10:21 am

1 – the animated GIF is PRICELESS!!
    2 – I saw you post this link on their FB page – and then it was mysteriously gone!!

• October 28, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for pointing that out. Time for screen caps. :)

2. October 28, 2010 10:29 am

Atchka, you are the best!!! Keep it up! : ) it is 3am in Australia and I have so much to say about Dove/Marie Claire- love your makeover for Dove!!! am off to bed- will tweet this when before work tomorrow! YAY for you!! :)

• October 28, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks Lydia, now GET SOME SLEEP!

3. Lillian permalink
    October 28, 2010 1:09 pm

People like Maura Kelly don’t only mean that ‘morbidly obese people disgust her.’ They mean that anyone with an ounce of extra fat disgust her. In the media, one is either Hollywood thin or morbidly obese, they see no middle. I’m morbidly obese to those types. I have been called obese by health care providers when my weight was in the normal BMI range. I’ve been called it too many times for it to be a fluke.

They think only people that are as thin as possible are people. If woman isn’t a size 4 or smaller, then she’s fat in the eyes of the media. There is no ‘inbetweens’. Inbetweens is a word that us normal size fat people use in SA/FA movement. To people on the outside, we’re fat. We’re the same to media as the ‘headless fatty”. We’re included as part of the obesity epidemic us that are only in the overweight category. It doesn’t matter to them that we live longer than ‘normal weight’ people. They see us as unhealthy as visibly obese people and want us to disappear along with them.

• October 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Lillian,

Welcome to Fierce Fatties.

Even if she only meant “people with a BMI over 40 disgust me” that isn’t how her readers are going to interpret it. She writes “rolls and rolls” and many women will look at themselves in disgust and assume everyone sees themselves the way she describes.

And in any case, none of this actually matters AT ALL because you don’t express disgust with ANY group publicly if you don’t want that group to hand you your ass on a platter. Have some common decency for fuck’s sake!

4. Felicia permalink
    October 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Just sent my email to Dove. Keep up the good work!

• October 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Felicia,
      Great, thanks! And welcome to Fierce Fatties.

5. Megan permalink
    October 28, 2010 2:16 pm

It seems wall comments aren’t allowed now. So I posted under “what I wish I knew when I was 13.” It will be interesting to see how long it stays there.

• October 28, 2010 4:13 pm

The wall comments disappear behind the “Others” section. You can also respond to their comments on the wall for it to be on the front page. Thanks for helping and welcome!

6. ThePowerofMyth permalink
    October 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Just sent my email and commented on their facebook! I couldn’t agree more with you we need to do something about it!

• October 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Thank you! And welcome. We definitely need to do something until they make true amends for their editorial mistake.

7. Hidi permalink
    October 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Go Atchka! As for Marie Claire, Maura Kelly & others: They all can go straight to hell. The line in the sand has been drawn. ok. Body positive my a@$. Maura Kelly and Johanna Coles knew damn well what their intentions were from the beginning and they have the audacity to “play stupid”. Get the funk out of here with that bullcrap. Whateva!

• October 29, 2010 10:12 am

Thanks Hidi. We have to keep the pressure on and not let this issue fade away. It’s apology or nothing.

8. ThePowerofMyth permalink
    October 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Just wanted to say it looks like Dove’s ad is no longer on Marie Claire’s website! I am not sure if this means they are no longer supporting them or if they just said they didn’t want their ad on their website or what, but now its burberry ad!

9. DaVette permalink
    October 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for leading the charge to the advertisers at Marie Claire. Hit them where it hurts! I spoke to a customer rep at Dove today and left a note on the Facebook site. And, as noted, it looks like Dove has pulled their ads, though it might be temporary. But in the meantime, what about Burberry? I looked at the FB site and there are no posts protesting their advertising with MC, which seems hard to believe. With their huge presence on the MC website. They make a big target. Wonder if they are deleting the posts?

10. Len permalink
    October 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Just emailed Burberry (Dove was a fizzer as they do not allow people outside of the US to email via their site). Certainly Burberry’s Facebook site is remarkably comment-free. I think a little ‘cleaning’ is going on.

Unfortunately a company like Burberry clearly has no interest in the Fat Dollar … wonder if it will make a difference? Only one way to find out …

• October 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Len, did you check the “Other” wall? The front page is just their stuff, but my comment is still on the other page, so I dunno. Have you commented there?

Which of that list would you pick next? I’m thinking Paul Mitchell, maybe? Olay? Always? I’m thinking of stuff that’s more ubiquitous. Walmart would be interesting. I dunno. We’ll spend next week focusing on advertisers. We need a strategy, though.

• Len permalink
        October 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Hey, I guess I was not looking in the right place! Thanks for that :-) Can’t agree more about the ubiquitous advertisers. I was wondering if the companies that do cater to fatties (or don’t specifically avoid catering to us) would be good to start on, as the potential dollar loss from customers might focus their attention on the unacceptability of that article and resulting hoo-ha.

You know, just musing: I have a beloved sister who is a ‘past’ (meaning, maintaining her health) anorexic and she suffers from some fairly serious body dysmorphia – I guess it’s par for the course. Although it hurt to read Ms Kelly’s article I actually couldn’t help but feel badly for her: I think the editors who allowed that article through have hurt her as much as us, by letting her publish something that came from a painful place and can only hurt her career.

• October 31, 2010 11:41 am

I agree with you about Ms. Kelly. I think they took advantage of her existing issues and have essentially left her holding the bag. That’s why I’ve been trying to take the focus off Maura specifically and go after the editors who should have not allowed this crap.

In any case, I think we should start with Paul Mitchell. Take it one at a time. They only have, like, 28,000 fans on FB (compare to the 2 million plus fans of Burberry), so they’re more likely to hear us.

We’ll address the sponsors one at a time and put pressure on each until they agree to withdraw. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

• ThePowerofMyth permalink
        October 30, 2010 6:33 pm

All I have to say is count me in on this plan! ! I think its about time we voiced our concerns to advertisers and let them now exactly how we feel!

<3 Amber

• October 31, 2010 11:41 am

Right on, Amber. Thanks for joining us!@

11. Sullena Milena permalink
    October 31, 2010 5:35 am

Maybe we should all write the editor of Marie Claire. After the idiocy of last month’s slanderous health bloggers post, you think they wouldve been more mindful this month. Not so. Let her know about your displeasure.
    I know I did.

jcoles@hearst.com

• October 31, 2010 11:43 am

Sullena,
      I did so as well, but I’m guessing she has an assistant filter through them for her, so she’d never actually read them herself. I think the only way Joanna Coles is gonna feel our anger is if we affect their bottom line.

Welcome to Fierce Fatties!

12. crazeedaisy permalink
    November 1, 2010 2:22 pm

Thank you for the links! I shall put my frustration into action, and I will contact Dove to express my frustration, and let them know they can kiss my fat $$$ as well as my ass, goodbye.

13. dufmanno permalink
    November 2, 2010 9:29 am

Damnit Paul Mitchell and Dove! I won’t be able to take a shower or style my hair now!
    Alright, I’ll change brands but I better look hot afterward Shannon or I’m going to draft a strongly worded letter to you listing my grievances.
    xoxo
    Dufmanno

• November 2, 2010 10:13 am

Just wait until we go after your favorite brand of toilet paper. You’ll never be the same!!!

And Kelly, is there really any possible way to make you any hotter than you are now? I doubt Paul Mitchel and Dove are doing that. It’s genetic, baby!

• dufmanno permalink
        November 2, 2010 10:44 am

I’d like to put in for bigger boobs but they’ve seen huge improvements since I’ve had three kids.
        I will say that I’ve been under the Paul Mitchell spell since high school so it’s probably time for a change anyway.

• November 2, 2010 11:15 am

Don’t just change. Call! They currently go to VM, but leave a message. And tell them you want bigger boobs too!

14. TriskeleMcIrish permalink
    November 8, 2010 5:23 pm

I found this site through Jezebel, and started following atchka’s lead in contacting sponsors. This may be a little late, but I have just received this email in response from Dove:

“Thank you for writing us regarding Dove.

Because consumers of our products represent a broad cross-section of the world, there may be times when our ads appear in printed media that not all viewers find acceptable. Many people sincerely differ in their perceptions, so that there can be no universally held opinion about what constitutes acceptable. Through our selection practices, we strive to achieve an equitable balance between the concerns of individuals and preserving freedom of choice.

We hope that this information has given you a better understanding of our advertising practices. Thank you for taking the time to share your views with us. You can be assured that your comments will be considered as we continue to challenge our perceptions about what is appropriate for us in today’s environment.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Dove”

I find this less than helpful, and it feels like a complete brushoff; considering their aim to promote self-esteem and real beauty I would think that they would have a better answer for someone who (kindly) pointed out their hypocrisy in funding a magazine that produces such negative content.

• November 9, 2010 9:40 am

Trish, thank you so much for contacting Dove. I emailed them about a week ago and got the exact same reply. It’s an auto-reply, so I’m guessing they send that to any complaints about their advertising. We are focusing this week on Dove and I’m encouraging everyone to call Dove and express their disappointment that Dove continues to support Marie Claire. In fact, I’m going to do so again today. I hope you will too.

800 761 DOVE (3683)

And welcome to Fierce Fatties.

Trackbacks

1. Marie Claire: the Fat-Hate Fiasco and Fireback Roundup, with comments from Di | Fat Chic
  2. thepowerofmyth