RIP Fashion Bug

July 3, 2012

The title of my blog post is not a hoax — Fashion Bug will permanently close sometime in 2013. I was shopping at the store today with my mom and during a chat with the clerk who rang us up, we were informed of the bad news. All its stores and its website will cease to exist by the end of next year.

The reason behind this decision was not because the store was losing money, as it was actually making a profit in some locations. No, the simple decision to get rid of Fashion Bug, one of the largest sellers of plus-size clothing, was strictly an aesthetic one.

Charming Shoppes, the company that owns Fashion Bug and the other major plus-size clothing retailers (Lane Bryant, Lane Bryant Outlet and Catherine’s) was bought out by another company called Ascena Retail Group, who also own Maurice’s, a store that carries more trendier fat fashion (think of it as Torrid Lite), and Dress Barn, another mainstream fatshion store.

Apparently, Fashion Bug wasn’t trendy or contemporary enough for Ascena, so it was the one that had to go, since Fashion Bug was  being compared to big-box chains such as Kohl’s and Wal-Mart, which Ascena believes are now the go-to places for customers looking for larger sizes at cheaper prices.

The problem is, not all big-box stores are the same when it comes to their plus-size departments. Their attention and care toward big women looking for fashion can be less than desirable compared to fellow, thinner female consumers. While smaller women usually get what’s in season now with lots of options, us fatties are lucky if we find something that doesn’t include t-shirts with rude sayings spouted by Disney characters, ill-fitting stretch pants, and anything that doesn’t have a) sequins, b) ruffles, or c) both at the same time.

The disappearance of Fashion Bug is just rubbing more salt into the wound that is the lack of affordable and stylish plus-size clothing. I understand that FB wasn’t for everyone, but it was one of the few places where you could find tops for under $30, jeans and pants for under $40, and sizes that went to a 4X (rare for a brick and mortar retailer).

Now most of us who weren’t completely sized out of purchasing clothes without the use of a computer will be forced to head back almost exclusively to online or mail-order catalogs and television shopping channels. There, prices can be even higher and you’re constantly gambling to see if what you buy will actually fit without having to pay to return it.

I realize losing one clothing store shouldn’t be such a big deal, but it actually is, considering how many clothing companies either refuse to design for fat people or offer very limited, sub-par items. Yes, clothing is a privilege, but it’s a privilege that everyone should be able to enjoy, whether you’re a size 8 or a size 8X.

July 3, 2012 9:48 am

I’m sorry to see Fashion Bug go, even though I can’t shop there (I wear a 5X in tops so they don’t have anything that fits my rack of doom). I can’t even buy slacks there because they don’t carry talls. So while it’s not a big loss for me, it is a loss for those who aren’t as large as I am who could shop there. That probably also explains why the two Catherine’s stores I shopped at (here in MN) have been closed. They were both in smaller towns (St Cloud and Mankato) which also happen to have Fashion Bug stores.
    The really sad thing is that they’re saying I can shop at WalMart because WallyWorld carries Just My Size, which goes up to a 5X, but that 5X is really more like a 4X (JMS runs small compared to Catherine’s). Now if I want tops from Catherine’s, I have to drive the 2 hours to the Twin Cities and deal with the traffic (so not happening for just a shopping trip) or drive 6 hours to Duluth (also so not happening just for a shopping trip). That means I have to shop online, which means the selection sucks – what’s shown online isn’t nearly the variety they have in the stores, and by the time it hits clearance online, my size is gone. I can’t afford to pay upwards of $50/$60 just for a top or $60/$80 for a pair of slacks. Looks like I’ll be dragging my sewing machines and supplies downstairs and going back to making my own clothes again.

• July 3, 2012 11:00 am

If I want stockings and pantyhose that fit I can’t buy JMS. According to their charts I should be able to wear their 4X. Nope, not even close. I usually hit Torrid or Catherine’s up in Spokane and stock up. I am going to miss FB since that is the closest store down in Lewiston (35 miles away as opposed to 100 miles for Spokane) where I can get underwear that is cute and fits. Have to get down there next time we have enough money ahead and stock up.

At the age of 50 I want nice clothes, but while I like Catherine’s, they tend to be out of my budget for the most part and I LOVE Torrid, but most of their clothes are too young for me and I really have to search for pieces there I can get away with wearing. FB is a nice in between and usually had decent sales.

As for the “big box stores” I won’t buy clothes from Wally World as I prefer my clothes to last beyond one trip thru the washing machine (if I can find anything other then a shirt that fits). I think there might be a Kohl’s in Spokane, have to check next time we are up, but I really don’t hold out hope. I did find a totally adorable dress at Target the last time we were up to Spokane, they had expanded their plus size to 3 whole racks!!!!!!!

2. July 3, 2012 11:21 am

Clothing is NOT a privilege. Try going without it on a hot sunny day, a wet one, a cold and snowy one, etc. Clothing is, IMO, a part of the Shelter part of our human rights, and dammit I hate seeing Fashion Bug go if they’re as great as you say they are! Fat folks deserve clothes that look and feel good and are made well, and if a brick and mortar store that provides that, as well as good customer service, is closing forever, that’s a real shame.

• lifeonfats permalink
      July 3, 2012 8:01 pm

Good customer service can be hit or miss but my local FB always had nice clerks working there. What I also loved was their coupons. $10 off $20 and $25 is not bad and they sent them out monthly.

• July 3, 2012 8:56 pm

Clothing is NOT a privilege.

I’m going to offer this idea. I definitely agree that clothing is not a privilege. However, fashion — clothing that goes beyond our needs for protection from our environments (weather, terrain, etc.) — may well be a privilege.

That said, I definitely agree that smaller-sized fashion is very much privileged to plus size fashion.

3. Fab@54 permalink
    July 3, 2012 11:49 am

WHAT??? I’m stunned…. Fashion Bug (Plus) was my go-to store for plus fashions (not just plus sizes, but Plus Fashion!) for many years! I was lucky enough to live within 10 miles of a really huge Fashion Bug Plus store — where 80% of the store was devoted to the plus sizes, and 20% to the under size 18’s — Which is the opposite of most stores; *IF* they carry plus sizes at all. I’m sad to hear this….

But I do feel kinda guilty too. See, for the last few years I’ve discovered several wonderful on line shopping sites for plus sizes; everything from swimsuits, to fashion, to bras, to wide shoes and all sorts of stuff. On line shopping just can’t be beat for selection.
    I can’t tell you how many times I drove to the FB Plus store during one of their sales and found everything I wanted to get in MY size had sold out. (the reason I started hunting for clothes and discovering online retailers for plus sizes in the first place).

But still, it’s a shame Fashion Bug is going……

4. July 3, 2012 11:53 am

That is too bad. One less place to go. I started buying for catalogs. Got some good things. Had to send only one back. I dont mind it but I do like to go out and look. Oh well.

5. July 3, 2012 11:55 am

Some of you may know I wrote a book. It is for sale. Im not sure if it is OK to put it here. Someone let me know. Fatology 101 is the tile and my website.

• July 3, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi Marla,
      Our bloggers do book reviews, so if you’d like to send to one of our bloggers, you can email me at atchka at hotmail and I’ll pass along the info.

6. July 3, 2012 3:35 pm

I don’t like Fashion Bug and don’t shop there, but I don’t like the decision, either. Just underlines how shaky so many places really are. I buy most of my clothes at Torrid – what’s to stop their parent company from making an “aesthetic” choice about them?

7. July 3, 2012 3:41 pm

WHAT?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!!!! It’s the only brick-and-mortar store I shop in! I can’t afford Lane Bryant, I don’t like Kohl’s, and the only Dressbarn in my area is 40 miles away from my house!! Wow, this really sucks.

• July 3, 2012 9:37 pm

This is me too. I mean, aside from thrifting. Fashion Bug is literally at the opposite corner of town from me. But it’s also the only place I can be reasonably certain has a size that fits me. Additionally, it is the *only* straight-and-plus-size store in town that has a legitimate 50/50 ratio of sizes.

Also too — where the eff am I now going to get tall plus pants? (Unlike vesta44 above, it seems, my FB does carry tall sizes.)

8. July 3, 2012 5:07 pm

That’s too bad. I got a jean jacket from FB that I like.
    I was just frustrated with this same problem a week or two ago. I was shopping at a store that has both regular-size and a plus-size sections. I did end up finding a few “girly” shirts in my size at this particular store, but I was disappointed in the selection (where “girly” means NOT men’s t-shirts). There were a LOT of shirts that I really liked in the regular-size section, but not too many in the plus-size section. It was very disappointing. It’s hard finding plus-sized girly shirts that aren’t t-shirt-esque, don’t wear well, or are just plain ugly. Why not just make the same shirts on both sides, with a wider range of sizes? It made me angry.

9. Lauren C. permalink
    July 3, 2012 7:22 pm

I also weep for the loss of FB! I ALWAYS found something I felt was not only cute, but also affordable.

July 3, 2012 9:37 pm

Ya know, the thing that has always pissed me off about clothing for women of size (anyone above a size 18) is that the fabrics are out there – they use them for clothing for smaller women. WhyTF can’t they use the same fabrics/prints/colors for larger women? They can’t tell me that those items come in limited yardages and there isn’t enough yardage to make clothing for fat women out of those fabrics/prints/colors too (that’s bullshit, I worked in a garment factory and I know better). It’s that they think fat women don’t deserve to have the same clothing options as their smaller sisters, or won’t buy them if they’re available – and hell no I’m not going to buy them if you price them at half again (or more) than what a size 18 and under pays for the same damned item. Not when it doesn’t take half again as much fabric or half again as much time to make them and it sure as hell doesn’t cost half as much again to market them (the clothing would sell itself if it was available and shown on models that it actually fit). And when they do have stores that actually sell clothes we can afford and will wear, they close them because they aren’t “hip” enough, aren’t “young” enough, aren’t “thin” enough.

• March 22, 2013 11:23 am

I totally agree with Vesta44!! If they can make the item for a small person, make the same outfit for a plus size in the same material! Like it’s “hardship” or something to make plus size clothes!

11. July 3, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, crap. It seems that I now have 6-18 months to buy ALL THE PANTS.

12. July 4, 2012 2:33 am

While this is a terrible loss. Maybe Ascena will realize unlike Charming Shoppes that there are affluent fat people, who would prefer not to travel into the poorer and more sketchy neighborhoods for clothing.

I stated this on my Tumblr, complaining about Lane Bryant locations, and was attacked as being racist. I don’t think having to travel into a dangerous area of town, because clothing stores are still inept at understanding how to sell plus size clothing in-store instead of online, has to do with racism. It may have to do with sizeism and racism intersectionalizing to a degree. However, I shouldn’t have to put my life at risk going into a neighborhood where I might be shot, or assaulted, because piloting companies just can’t figure out white women are fat too.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but really shouldn’t people be more offended that this is a sign fat people have been relegated to second class status, rather than going after me for not being a polite privileged white person, and not pretending that crime isn’t more prevalent in certain areas. I was very upset by this reaction, took down the post on my Tumblr. I don’t like that I have to acknowledge that reality.

I wasn’t doing it for fun. I was pointing out how BS it is that there usually is only one plus size store in a mall, and hundreds of stores catering to the thin privileged. Speaking of, would you believe this Shannon. Thin people on Tumblr are so offended that we acknowledge their privilege, that they whined about it on the thin privilege tag. I’ve gotten such nonsense as, “Well they didn’t have a shirt in my size at a store once!” or “WAAAAHHH! They have cute plus-size clothing at Target, and I can’t have it in my size.” I understand we should accept all bodies, but these people are the living end about this!

13. Jan Wilson permalink
    September 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I will miss Fashion Bug as it was one of my favorite stores. I am not plus size but loved the other side of the store. I finally found bras that were comfortable & the straps didn’t fall down. I shopped there allot & knew all of the people that worked there. They were all so friendly & helpful. I found my outfit for my 50th high school reunion there recently. Just found out today & it ruined my day.

14. Carla permalink
    October 9, 2012 7:45 am

I am very sorry they are closing. That is horrible!!!!! They don’t only have clothing for Plus sizes either. They have a juniors & regular size department. My daughter gets her clothes there at 11 years of age. She loves the clothes & says they are ” COOL”. My mother comes from CANADA just to shop there. She is a size 9/10. The prices were great & the clothes were unique. The store is small enough to have help by the staff & yet large enough to have choices. The bras were the best too. You could not find ones like those ANYWHERE!!!!! That is too bad. I am sorry not just for us shoppers to lose such a great place but for the staff that will be losing their jobs. VERY SAD!!!! :(

15. January 5, 2013 1:45 pm

I shop often at http://www.Onestopplus.com they have reasonable prices and good deals on a lot of things.They have clothes from size 14 – 44

16. Lisa Maus permalink
    January 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I loved Fashion Bug, I shopped right up to the last minute!! By the way, Fashion Bug carried missy sizes as well, I’m a size 10…………it was a store for adult women!! Bad decision!!!!!!

17. Bev McCarragher permalink
    February 4, 2013 10:56 pm

Fashion Bug was not only for Plus sized women,they also had clothes for the size 8 to 18 range.I LOVED the store and the styles.I bought most of my clothes there and now I will have to look for another store.I cannot shop at Catherines they have hideous clothes,most items there have no style at all and the colors are neon.I received coupons for Catherine in the last few Fashion Bug credit card statements,I think they are hoping we will all flock to that store,but they do not have my size,I could shop with my daughter she is a plus size and I am a size 10 and we had fun going together.BIg,Big mistake Ascena!!!!

18. Elizabeth Otter permalink
    February 8, 2013 3:28 pm

The selection at Walmart is poor and the only 5x they had would be the first thing to go.
    I really don’t think clothes are worth what we pay for the. Since clothes are made mostly overseas now and those people do not get paid well at all. I was told that American made
    clothing could not compete due to what the workers got paid. Now the workers get paid
    very little and it is still expensive. I just don’t think that it is worth what we pay for it. I don’t like the styles either. Walmart used to have a better selection at one time. Now it gets smaller and smaller every year.

19. Sandy permalink
    February 15, 2013 9:37 pm

This is very upsetting. I always bought my bras and panties there and then they closed a few months back. I was looking for a plain black shirt to go with a skirt I had got and could not find one at all. Tallahassee is the capital of FL and not a 3x black shirt to be found anywhere. I had to com home and get one off line which there 3x was way bigger than a regular 3x so had to send it and the dress back. Such a hassel. I can’t afford those high price stores and refuse to pay those prices. Women within will be where I buy my stuff and Cato they have some plus things that are nice and affordable sometimes.

20. Susan permalink
    February 21, 2013 5:30 pm

I can’t believe it! I bought all my clothes at Fashion Bug. Everything, for everyday, work attire and special occasions. Always found something I liked that fit well within my budget. Now where am I going to shop for my clothes? I’ve visited other stores, both in person and online but had problems with sizes being off, or prices out of my range, not to mention quality. Why can’t these companies see what the consumer really wants, and not just what they think is trendy. Lets face it, if a store is making money it must be doing something right – so don’t close it!!!.

• Karen Soder permalink
      February 22, 2013 1:29 pm

i will miss Fasion Bug so very much, it was my very favorite store. You could always count on fasionable plus sized clothing, and affordable prices. If anyone didn’t know what to get me for a present, I would ask for a gift card to that store. I have been in Catherine’s and I find the clothing for older women, and does not keep up with recent trends. I hope the company who made this decision, feels the loss like the rest of us do.

21. Pat Heiland permalink
    February 26, 2013 6:06 am

I haven’t shoppped much at Fashion Bug, preferring Macy’s, Dillard’s and JC Penney Clearance racks. Not a ruffle in sight and I am better dressed than many thin women for less money than Fashion Bug clothing. They even beat Kohl’s and Walmart.
    I bought a Style and Co. black winter dress coat after Christmas for $34.00 at Macy’s, regularly $178., Alfred Dunner straight leg pants for $5 a pair at Penneys, Liz Claiborne blouses for $8, Aerosole shoes for $10.

Because of these type of prices, I had no need for Fashion Bug.

Clearance.

22. Jim permalink
    March 9, 2013 3:25 pm

they closed because of Corporate greed. Ascena Realtail didn’t want the competition for Dress Barn .All those people out of work. They ought to ashamed of themselves. The executives walked away with big fat paychecks.

• Dee permalink
      May 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Jim…..I agree. It’s always about greed these days. What a shame.

23. March 16, 2013 3:37 pm

All the FB stores are now closed, and I don’t know where to shop. Their clothes always fit me, and I could go try them on. I just ordered a pair of dress pants on-line, and they don’t come close to fitting right, so I have to send them back. I REALLY miss F.B. If I had the funds to open another store just like it I would, because you could make a killing. Not all of us want to wear what’s “in style” right now, because we aren’t all teens and twenty-somethings. Or a size small! I feel betrayed!

24. Dee permalink
    May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

I love FB, always shopped there…too bad it’s closing for good. In my town, we had 2 locations and they were both great! Why, why, why do they always have to take away what works for large sized women and try to replace it with garbage???
    I don’t do Walmart…..MY GOD!!! I wouldn’t wear that crap to the bathroom. lol I want something that will hold up AND look stylish as well.
    Maybe if we complain enough, it will jolt the company back to it’s senses…..it worked for JCP!

25. Lisa permalink
    May 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Fashion Bug was the best casual plus-sized clothing store. Their clothes were well fitting and not baggy. They made a HUGE MISTAKE closing all the stores. I always ended up coming home with a large bag of clothes because it was affordable and trendy. I can’t afford Lane Bryant’s prices all the time. Catherine’s is a bit outdated. Dress Barn’s colors are distasteful and also somewhat outdated. Torrid has some nice stuff but a bit too trashy. Avenue is okay but enough with the casual sweat clothes. I’d like to see dressy clothes too. In the past I loved H&M plus-sized section because the colors were muted and tasteful but they closed. The plus sized section of Forever 21 is hard to find & is in some limited stores with clothes that are okay but cheaply made. Walmart and Target are a joke. Someone needs to do market research on women’s need for plus size clothing stores. There’s a huge gap not being met. Does anyone know where the remnant FB clothing will end up? I still want to buy a pair of pink jeans that I saw that FB had but were out of my size. And finally I’m sick of the low neck crew cut tops that all the plus-sized stores seem to only have. They make the neck look fatter. The neckline should be higher and also the tops should be longer to cover the derriere and fitted to shape – not loose and baggy. Hmmm, maybe I’ll just have to open my own store and make millions.

26. Darlene permalink
    June 6, 2013 7:19 am

This is truly upsetting. FB alway’s had really cute swimwear in cute design’s and color’s, and really cute, comfortable PJ’s in plus sizes that actually fit, customer service was wonderful. I also see JCP is struggling, guess it will be next to go although from what I’ve read FB wasn’t, just some company came in bought it and decided it needed to go so their more expensive stores would be able to sale more plus sizes, well I for one cannot afford them and it seem’s almost nothing I order on line fit’s proper, so there I am paying postage to return the item or sometimes it would cost so much for return postage I’d end up taking those brand new clothes to Good Will. Who can afford that repeatedly? Good-Bye cute swimwear and my cute, comfy PJ’S. I will miss FB.

27. carol holmes permalink
    June 21, 2013 10:29 pm

I’m very disappointed that FB closed I loved that store and always shopped there. I went to Catherines today to look for some tops and I couldn’t find anything there I liked. Also way to expensive. I refuse to spend $40,50 60 for a top. Fashion Bug had great prices. In this day and age everyone is looking for a bargain and Catherines and Dress Barn etc are way out there with there prices. Big mistake closing FB, you sld of asked the customer there opinion first before making such a stupid discision.

28. September 1, 2013 12:27 am

Whenever I hear of Fashion Bug I think of “Danny the Tourette’s Guy” on YouTube. “Danny” is kneeling in front of his refrigerator rummaging around in the freezer and every time the phone rings he exclaims, “Fashion Bug!” It’s so funny.

29. Amanda permalink
    October 28, 2013 8:39 pm

I’m dying without my FB. There is no other place near where I live to shop for clothes. I don’t even know where to go to get clothes to fit me the way FB’s clothes fit me. I hate Walmart(cheaply made) and Kohl’s stuff is ugly in the plus size section and doesn’t fit me right. Dress Barn looks like a place for old ppl. I was in love with FB…super trendy and super cute. I spent sooooo much money in that store over the years. I’m at an absolute loss with where to go from here :(

30. DayStar311 permalink
    November 9, 2013 12:08 pm

This explains it! My favorite store for clothes, Fashion Bug, just suddenly wasn’t there anymore. Now, I’m reduced to “trying” to find fashionable clothes in my size, that doesn’t look like a tent with a bow on it!! Wow, there is NO place around my area to buy clothes I actually like! The rest are so bad, the companies should be embarrassed to make them looking like that. What do we do now? I can’t afford expensive stuff and shopping online does not allow me to touch the fabrics and try things on for fit, especially for jeans. I’m also not finding any sleepwear in my size (1X) and have been told that all sleepwear in major stores for plus size are now only found online. GAH!! Now, that’s just plain mean! There aren’t enough designers who give a darn about us! I’ve even heard discussions on TV, explaining that if we really cared about how we look, we should just lose weight to fit the standard sizes! This is certainly discrimination if ever I’ve heard it and at the very least, hatred and prejudice. ~ (Sigh).

31. Nasya permalink
    November 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I completely agree. I miss Fashion Bug soo much they had cute clothes that fit nicely & bras that fit us bigger chested girls & were comfy. Kohls has some plus size clothes but they don’t & won’t ever compare to the beloved Fashion Bug. They just had so many choices & styles.

32. March 27, 2014 6:53 pm

I miss Fashion Bug because I used to get my office outfits there. They would have nice suits or pants that would match any top. I used to drive 2 hours to a Fashion Bug because we didn’t have one in our town. I loved shopping during the summer. It was one of my highlights going to fashion bug. I would always come outwith a big bag. My credit car was up to 2,000. Imagine all the money they have lost. My card is almost paid off. .

33. Denise Bestwick permalink
    April 8, 2014 12:47 pm

I miss Fashion Bug. I bought my clothes there all the time. I miss the jeans and bras.

34. Lisa permalink
    April 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I Miss Fashion Bug terribly! Lane Bryant is Way to high in prices, I don’t like Avenue! The only place i’ve been able to find and its only online is Womanwithin but there clothes are very CHEAPLY made! They make them look great on the model but when they come they are very poorly made and they just don’t fit like Fashion Bugs clothes did and to send stuff back its $7.50 per item. It is a shame Fashion Bug was a great store even for petite women…….by far they had the best Plus size collection that were affordable to the average woman. My whole wardrobe is basically Fashion bug, i’m so glad i stocked up on stuff before they went out of business. Does anyone know of a place that is like Fashion Bug quality and affordable? please leave me a reply! Happy Shopping ladies!

35. Ruth permalink
    May 8, 2014 2:54 pm

I agree – Catherine’s, Lane Bryant, and such is way too high. Even Lane Bryant Outlet prices are way to high. I too miss Fashion Bug. They had more of a selection than Kohl’s and Walmart and when you shopped during the 40% off everything it was even better. I have discovered Cato’s, which I love and Ashley Stewart has some cute things from time to time but I do miss shopping at Fashion Bug. Cato’s has a great plus size selection, stylish cloths and they are very affordable. Problem is we need more Cato’s stores. Best bet is to get there on Tuesday when they get their shipment in.

36. martuccia permalink
    June 1, 2014 11:09 pm

I am now in need of panties and I always bought them at fashion bug, my husband doesn’t see the big deal but I do….. I bought some from walmart and I just don’t feel pretty in them…. I don’t feel sexy… I miss fashion bug…. I find it cruel that they took the store away ….

37. ruth permalink
    June 3, 2014 1:37 pm

Does anyone know what manufacturer they use for there bra’s because sense they went out I can’t find a dam bra that fits like those did ,,, so if anyone know anything pls let me know ,, because lane Bryant’s are not it ,, because they have sent me 3 different one 2 not the right size and 1 the size but not fitting right . so pls HELP MY BOOBS AND ME .WE CAN’T TAKE MUCH MORE . of the hunt of the bra king ,, lol ,

38. August 2, 2014 8:36 am

Forever 21 Plus. Beautiful fun clothes, poly, rayon, spandex cotton, lace, handbags, jewelry. Inexpensive. Gorgeous jeans for $9.80, dresses for around $15 to $22 on average. Handbags from about $10-29 which vary by sale prices. Statement jewelry for $6-12, nice quality. Models with real curves and measurements listed so you get a true idea of what things may look like on you. I found this recently after reading some blogs. Swimsuitsforall for the best plus size swimwear ever, with discounts you will pay about $20-40 for most swimwear with a few designer pieces from $50-$165. IGIGI for gorgeous designer dresses just for plus sizes, prices from $70-300, worthy for fancy occasions, great sales. Always find clothing that makes you feel beautiful and sexy, no matter what your favorite brand or your size is. I have found Warner bras and Maidenform to be good. A professional fitting at a department store helps. Surprisingly Walmart carries some nice quality bras at decent sizes–Maidenform, Just My Size.

39. Tay permalink
    October 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Ok, I am a year and a half late but I wanted to chime in. No, clothing is a NEED and we (people) all need to be able to have choices from great selections of affordable clothing. I believe overweight people (like myself and my husband) are exploited by the fashion prices and choices. This blog helped me, because I did not know that FB was closed for good. And to add insult to injury they closed down the DOTS and reopened it under the Simply Fashion management team and we all know that Simply Fashion clothing is HORRIBLE. My husband shops at DXL, he wears a 6XL and its hard its hard to anything in his size. So DXL, formally know as Casual Male has an monopoly on the clothing industry for big men. Its sad.