Come One, Come All!

February 12, 2013

Terrific Tuesday Horizontal

At Fierce Fatties, we pride ourselves on having a large and diverse writing staff. From average-sized to ZOMGDEATHFAT, Caucasian to multi-racial, from straight to bi (several of us, actually!), we have a number of bases covered. But we want to do more. We can do better than just “have our bases covered.” We’ve always welcomed contributions from a wide variety of perspectives and peoples, but it’s always just been a sort of open-ended “Hey if you’re out there and you find us and want to write for us, drop us an email” kind of thing. No more!

So lonely

CALLING ALL WRITERS! Are you DEATHFAT? A Person of Color? A man? A member of the LGBTQIA community? First Nations? Ultra-rich? (Drop me a line! ;) ) Broke-ass poor? Immigrant? Emmigrant? Are you full of wisdom of the ages or just stepping out on your own?* We want to hear from YOU! These voices need to be heard, their perspectives shared, or else Fat Acceptance and the way it intersects with race, socio-economic status, gender, sex, and sexuality, will remain dominated by one very specific perspective; the white, cis, straight, not too fat (but still definitely fat) woman’s perspective.

I am grateful for, and acknowledge, all of the work that’s been done in the name of Fat and Body Acceptance by those who have come before in decades past, as well as those who are still beating the drum of civil rights. I recognize that there are already people out there who fit into categories I’ve described above who are writing in their own spaces and who are sharing their perspective on things and their stories. It’s awesome — I’ve been reading. What we’re offering here is the opportunity to use the FFF platform of 30k+ page views a month to help get that word out. Whether it’s one post a month or weekly or bi-weekly, we want to use our reach to emphasize those voices that don’t get as much coverage.

Head on over to our Join Us page and get with the writing!

*Did I miss something? Something that’s awesome about you, but not included in my list? Join us!

Fat and Not Afraid Sig

1. Marilyn permalink
    February 12, 2013 7:55 am

Used to be somewhat fat.

2. Elizabeth permalink
    February 12, 2013 9:22 am

I love this. I’m happy to find a site where there are men’s voices, and there can’t be enough diversity for me. I stayed away from FA/SA websites for a while after having a bad experience on one (a troll being very nasty to other people), and I am so glad to have found FFF.

3. Jillian permalink
    February 12, 2013 11:57 am

Oh, fiiiiiine. Yeah, I should not procrastinate so much.

4. February 12, 2013 1:47 pm

I personally think there’s a little too much negativity allowed for a place that states it’s a safe space. But that one criticism aside, this place rocks. I’m autistic and don’t do great with social interaction – I can be blunt and rude and miss things, but nobody here’s jumped down my throat about it. Instead I get polite explanations and corrections which don’t make me feel like a freak or a loser. I’m eternally grateful for that.

5. The Real Cie permalink
    February 12, 2013 3:56 pm

I’m dead broke and have a trifecta of mental illnesses. But I’m another fat white lady, so I’m not sure how much diversity I could offer.

• JeninCanada permalink
      February 12, 2013 4:38 pm

This goes for everyone, really, but if you want to submit something, if you have an experience to share, do it! I’m dead broke and write about how that affect me & fat acceptance, and my grocery shopping, at my blog. It could definitely be heard here as well. :) It would be great to hear from people how their mental health intersects with fat acceptance too!

• The Real Cie permalink
        February 15, 2013 5:46 am

I’ll think about it for sure. My snarky abrasiveness puts people off sometimes. I’d probably have to put a lot of sarcasm and jokes from way left of center warnings.

Trackbacks