I don’t want to be one of “the cool kids”

June 6, 2013

Life on Fats in her 70's costume

Yours truly.

I reacted to the recent Abercrombie & Fitch controversy not with anger, but with apathy. It didn’t surprise me that a retailer that prides itself on catalogs featuring half-naked teenagers who look like they stepped out of The Vampire Diaries wouldn’t want fat people, perceived as “uncool and unattractive,” as customers.

Personally, I don’t see wearing a $60 t-shirt with the letters A&F on the front as being the epitome of cool, but that’s why I’ve never been part of the in-crowd. And that suits me just fine.

When I was a teenager in the early ’90s, I got flak for listening to disco and oldies; for wearing capri pants before they came back in style; and for preferring Star Wars and horror films to Wayne’s World and Die Hard II. I guess you could say I was “pre-hipster.”

I took it all in stride because I liked what I liked, and that was that. I never had a desire to be trendy. So it’s amusing to me to see a grown man talk about only wanting good-looking people buying his clothes and working in his stores, when most of the people I see wearing Abercrombie & Fitch probably wouldn’t pass his “cool” test. And that’s probably more satisfying than forcing a company to make sizes past “athletic XXL” when it clearly doesn’t want to.

I don’t want to be one of the cool kids. I don’t need to be one of the cool kids. I just want to be me, who at 37, still listens to disco and oldies (with a little bit of dubstep thrown in), still wears capri pants, and still prefers sci-fi (although it’s changed from Star Wars to Doctor Who) and horror films.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be cool and wear Abercrombie & Fitch, but I think it’s  a lot more rewarding just being yourself. And possibly a lot less stressful and costly as well. ;)

1. June 6, 2013 9:09 am

I may not be overweight myself. But that doesn’t mean I couldn’t be. I wouldn’t wear Abercrombie & Fitch if you paid me.

2. Elizabeth permalink
    June 6, 2013 9:54 am

I love hearing from someone who doesn’t give a damn about being cool! I never did, either, when I was a teenager, and I can’t imagine wearing corporate logos being equated with being cool. That said, my massage therapist told me I am a warehouse of cool, and a friend about half my age thinks I am super cool. But neither of them thinks cool means trendy, rather cool means being culturally with it.

3. June 6, 2013 4:01 pm

If being part of the Abercrombie and Fitch crowd is what I have to do to be cool, then I don’t want to either!

4. Dizzyd permalink
    June 6, 2013 6:32 pm

I think being truly cool is all about being yourself, and this comes from a 46 y.o. married woman who plays harp and flute, yet likes classic rock and watches cartoons (yes, cartoons!). ; )

5. Rubyfruit permalink
    June 6, 2013 7:18 pm

I reacted in much the same way. Not with anger, but with apathy. Yeah, it’s stupid but it’s not surprising. And I’m really not in their customer base, either, and I wouldn’t be if I wasn’t fat. Frankly, I find Abercrombie & Fitch’s clothes boring and unattractive, thus, not worth buying.

6. June 6, 2013 9:28 pm

Yep. I wasn’t shocked or offended by that whole A&F thing, since it’s glaringly obvious what type of person they want in their stores and wearing their clothes, and it’s been that way for at least a decade. I didn’t care about them back when I was a teenager and “cool kid” was something on my radar, and I definitely don’t care about them at all as an adult. I will admit, though, that I was somewhat surprised to see they finally admitted it out loud.