New diet surgery

June 11, 2013

Trigger warning: Incredibly disturbing new kind of weight loss surgery.

The way the medical world treats us fatties really astounds me.  First, they put us on diets for our own good.  Then, they misdiagnose us and blame everything from earaches to pneumonia to asthma to epilepsy on our obesity (this is my personal experience, people). I have had doctors think I was lying to them because I COULDN’T POSSIBLY have not eaten anything all day before having the seizure that sent me to the emergency room, although that doctor felt dumb when my 10-year-old set him straight, along with my blood work.

Then, we have the wonder-filled world of bariatric surgery. There are primarily two types of weight loss surgery done today and I, for the record, am against both of them since I have either lost someone or know someone who has ruined their lives on each of these procedures. In gastric bypass, a small stomach pouch is created with a stapler device,and connected to the distal small intestine. The upper part of the small intestine is then reattached in a Y-shaped configuration. The other procedure involves making a smaller pouch in the stomach for food to digest in either removing part surgically or else using the lap-band, which cinches off part of the stomach using a medical device, creating .

Well, a new surgurey is hitting the shelves in Venezuela (not yet readily availy in the US, but you know the lengths they want us fatties to go to). According to an article in Time magazine, this procedure involves sewing an abrasive patch of Marlex (used in both hernia repair and hula hoops) onto the tongue for a month at a time, rendering the consumption of all solid foods extremely painful.  The idea was introduced in 2009 by Nikolas Chugay, a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon.  He sees it as a way to help patients lose weight without the fully invasive bariatric surgery.

Image

The patch certainly has its own downsides. Securing an abrasive foreign object to the tongue comes with plenty of side-effects. Patients can experience speech difficulties, while others have trouble sleeping.

“At the start you can’t even move your tongue for the pain. I’ve tried to eat solid food but it’s impossible,” says Yomaira, speaking from her family home in Charallave, an industrial conurbation on the outskirts of the Caracas. “It’s a huge inconvenience, but I’m doing it to feel better about myself. I was very fat.”

“It’s a good solution, I don’t see it as extreme,” says Alicia Zamora, Yomaira’s mother. “It teaches you to eat differently and proves that there are alternatives.”

God, when will these people learn that IF IT AIN’T BROKEN DONT FIX IT. Good God, we don’t need to sew velcro to our tongues just so we won’t eat. Just let me be, and believe me when I tell you what I ate today (which was some beans and a nice submarine sandwich, TYVM). Oh, and keep your surgery away from my fat ass.

1. June 11, 2013 10:46 am

That seriously make me ill

2. nof permalink
    June 11, 2013 10:54 am

I really, really hate the “learn to eat like a normal person!” aspect of bariatric surgery. No healthy person eats the way a person who has bariatric surgery is forced to eat.

My mother recently had the new “sleeve” surgery, and I’m terrified for her. I’m also beyond furious with her doctor, who is aware of how it’s virtually impossible to lose weight with “lifestyle changes”. Apparently, the lesson to be learned from “hmm, people’s bodies really want to stay at a specific size!” is not “maybe they’re supposed to be that size!” but rather “GET OUT THE SCALPELS”.

3. Nancy permalink
    June 11, 2013 11:07 am

Didn’t people used to get their jaws wired shut back in the old days to accomplish this same thing? Beyond ridiculous. Size acceptance makes so much more sense.

• Shannon K permalink
      June 11, 2013 12:12 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by used to? People still get this done, it’s pretty horrifying.

4. June 11, 2013 1:54 pm

She says it “teaches you to eat differently.” By not chewing or eating solid foods? That’s not natural at all…

5. Dizzyd permalink
    June 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I made a joke to my husband that soon they’d start sewing our mouths shut to force us to be ‘healthy’. It’s not funny anymore!

6. Dizzyd permalink
    June 11, 2013 8:02 pm

This mom would actually allow her daughter to get this horrible thing done to her and acts like it’s a good thing! And what’s REALLY galling is that they don’t hesitate to take a kid away from their parents if they’re deemed too fat in the name of ‘protecting’ them! Disgusting!

7. June 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Oral pain has to be some of the worst pain ever! I can’t even stand a canker sore. Jeez I can’t believe people do this to themselves, and what makes me mad is the f*cking doctors sit back, smiling, collecting all the profits from women’s self loathing of their bodies.

8. June 12, 2013 3:02 am

And then after all that…. what? The metabolism will slow, the body will fight the loss, and sooner or later, it’s all back, plus some.

It’s insane.

9. Dizzyd permalink
    June 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Tracey – what’s even sadder in this article is the fact that the girl thinks this will make her feel better about herself. But yeah, the doctors getting rich off all the misery and suffering…all I can think is there is a dark, low pit in hell with their name on it…

10. June 14, 2013 9:19 am

There are no words for this much whattthefuck.
    Someone must channeled Dr. Mengele on the Ouija board to come up with this sadism.

• Dizzyd permalink
      December 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Cie- They were channeling SOMEBODY all right, and I don’t think that a mere amateur like Mendele could come up with such evil. It takes a professional. *cough*Satan*cough*

11. Jane permalink
    June 29, 2013 6:01 am

When was it so totally forgotten that no one, but no one “learns” anything except fear of punishment from punishment. This repulsive surgery (along with ALL the bariatric surgeries) is punishment for anyone who dares not to have the body type that the surgeon deems “acceptable”

No one in pain is going to learn to feel better about themselves.

• Dizzyd permalink
      December 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Jane, that’s the key word right there – “punishment”. Punishment for daring not to conform and become the perfect submissive little Stepford bot.

12. ivette permalink
    October 5, 2013 5:47 pm

I actually got this procedure done in Tijuana im on my 3rd week and lost 24 pounds. I will do it as many times as i have to to accomplish my goal weight. This is extreme but when you dont have the will power to stop eating junk food this is the solution. And hopefully when im off the patch I appreciate the new me and stop eating like i used to. Totalla recommend it to obese people :) my mom is also glad i got this done she hated to see me fat. She cares for my health.

• October 6, 2013 1:32 am

“Totalla” recommend it!

Sorry, I don’t know who “Totalla” is and frankly I don’t care. Your life is your own business, but I’ll keep my fat and take a pass on mutilating my tongue. If my mother is ever stupid enough to suggest such bullshit because she “cares” for me, I think I’ll put an ad in the paper for a replacement Mom.

Maybe you should go set up your sales booth somewhere else, because I don’t think you’ll find a real receptive audience here.

• Dizzyd permalink
        December 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Yeah, I was gonna say “Wow! Totalla recommends it! Wow, let’s all run right out and go sew Velcro on our tongue cuz Totalla says so and obviously she’s the expert on knowing everything about nothing!” (sarcasm)

• Dizzyd permalink
          December 29, 2013 4:08 pm

And I agree. If her mom really “cared” about her health, 1. she wouldn’t hate you for being fat, and 2. she wouldn’t suggest putting yourself through something so horrendous in the name of “health”. I mean what kind of idiot would actually do something like that to their own kid?

• October 6, 2013 1:15 pm

Mouth pain is not fun, not sure why people would willingly do this.

• October 6, 2013 4:47 pm

Well, “ivette” gives some reasons why. But they’re all shitty reasons, so…

13. Horrified permalink
    December 27, 2013 9:03 pm

This is encouraging anorexia. This whole thing makes me so upset and angry. This doesn’t even help to make themselves healthier, this is purely a societal problem where women feel they’re not beautiful unless they’re skinny. Utterly horrendous.

• Dizzyd permalink
      December 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Don’t you know, Horrified, that anorexia is the new “healthy”? Better to be a dying skeleton than be “fat” (which is anything above that) cuz that’s HEALTHY, don’t you know? (again, sarcasm)

14. fab@57 permalink
    December 28, 2013 5:48 pm

So, yet another method of medically supervised *starvation* to cure fatties. Lovely…. just fucking lovely.

15. Dizzyd permalink
    December 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Once upon a time, they actually recommended leeches – LEECHES – to give you that healthy skinny body that doctors are touting we should all be practically selling our souls to get. So, that shows you the level of “professionalism” there is in this field.

16. March 5, 2014 4:12 pm

When people learn to accept themselves for who they are and to stop listening to all the bullshit the medical field puts out there, we’ll all be better off. It’s perfectly “natural” to gain weight as we get older. It’s not “natural” to mutilate your tongue, implant foreign objects around the stomach or to have 75-80% of your internal organs cut out. I’m so sick of this obesity shit. What was once overweight is now obese. Give me a break! The medical field simply plants fear, offers a solution and makes mega bucks off of it. If I had a dime for every skinny person who is taken into the ER and drops dead on the spot in comparison to the fat person that walks out of the hospital, I’d be richer than Donald Trump by now! This entire Anorexic look and all of this Vegan crap is absolutely ridiculous already. BTW, what do all of these fatties do with all the excess skin after lose all of this weight all at once? THAT isn’t covered under insurance. It’s cosmetic. I lost 55 lbs in 4 months all on my own – I was depressed and didn’t eat. Not the right way to do it. Every time I looked in the mirror, I got sick looking at myself. Face drawn, skin starting to hang under my chin and on my arms. If I had done it at a slower rate and was working out, the hanging skin wouldn’t have been so bad. My son who is a skinny rail said to me, “Ma, you look terrible. You have to gain some weight.” Who the hell are these people kidding?