Calling All BAMFs —

July 26, 2013

Everything we do here at Fierce Fatties is a labor of love. Our singular goal is to provide a forum for an unflinching debate on the issues that affect fat people, and we have accomplished that BAMFthanks to our amazing team of contributors, who you see along the right side of our site, If you love what we do here, it’s because of the fed-up fatties who decided to add their voices to the debate. Some of us have a passion for writing, while others have never written for public consumption. Whatever the case, we have managed to develop a stable of writers, each of whom offers a unique perspective on the issues that matter to us.

Recently, three of our writers have taken a leave of absence for one reason or another, but they all intend to return at some point in the future. In the meantime, we’re looking for people to join our team and strengthen our voice. As Jen wrote back in February, we are eager to include people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to give voice to the underrepresented groups in the Body Acceptance movement:

Are you DEATHFAT? A Person of Color? A man? A member of the LGBTQIA community? First Nations? Ultra-rich? (Drop me a line! ;) ) Broke-ass poor? Immigrant? Emmigrant? Are you full of wisdom of the ages or just stepping out on your own? We want to hear from YOU! These voices need to be heard, their perspectives shared, or else Fat Acceptance and the way it intersects with race, socio-economic status, gender, sex, and sexuality, will remain dominated by one very specific perspective; the white, cis, straight, not too fat (but still definitely fat) woman’s perspective.

We have an amazing blog that has only thrived because a few of our readers have taken the plunge and joined us in this fight. You can find more information here on our simple submission process, or you can email me at atchka at hotmail dot com to get the ball rolling. Whether you’re an experienced blogger or you’ve never shared your thoughts with a crowd, I encourage you to give it a try. I have yet to hear a voice that hasn’t been welcomed enthusiastically by our readers or our team of bloggers.

And now, as a gift for everyone, especially those considering the appeal above, I have finally gotten around to doing something I’ve been meaning to do since I first read about it in Marilyn Wann’s life-changing book, Fat?So! In her book, Wann mentions an episode of Pinky and the Brain where they need to make the Earth lighter in order to achieve their global domination plans. I have finally tracked down that clip and I offer to you all as a token of my appreciation for all the support and love you’ve given our blog over the years.

July 26, 2013 11:01 am

Even if you call them a “lifestyle change”. . . . . roflmao!

2. Twistie permalink
    July 26, 2013 11:10 am

Most. Awesome. Clip. EVER!

3. July 26, 2013 6:50 pm

You lack voices that are both morbid and obese!? Ha, unfortunately, other than the supposed “morbidly obese” mantle which I have worn since, well, childhood, I tick all the other boxes, white, female, middle class, educated in writing. Yet I live on, year after year as, apparently, a “deathfat”. Never heard that one before. I like it.

• vesta44 permalink
      July 26, 2013 8:19 pm

illfitted: I’m DEATHFATZ and have been for 37 of my almost 60 years of life. Even though I’m disabled, I’m also metabolically healthy (go figure). But I do tick all of the other boxes – white, female, middle class, educated in writing (sorta kinda maybe, anyway). So yeah, we definitely need bloggers here who can tick the other boxes that Shannon mentioned.

• July 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I do have one interesting perspective, which sort of ticked a box in the past, and may well do in the future as well and I cover it somewhat in my blog, and that’s being a fat yanky in England. Although yanky isn’t correct either since I’m from California. It was very interesting, finding myself in a country where I went from too fat to date to suddenly sexy, just because of a cultural shift in attitudes toward the female figure. That’s probably why I refused to give up my boyfriend even after coming home, and have wanted to go back to England.

4. July 26, 2013 11:13 pm

I can tick the Jewish and differently-abled boxes? :) I probably don’t have the time or sanity points to write for FFF full time, but I’m happy to do the occasional guest post.

5. Kathi Chance permalink
    July 26, 2013 11:22 pm

I am 58, white educated, have the morbidly obese thing going on, for the past 8 years, I am female, but I am way lower class, but that just sounds so yucky, like I am dirty as well as fat, so I just say that I am Po, that is worse than being poor.I am on disability that is a jike, the amount I get, but that is a whole different deal. I used to work as a Chef, and I love to bake, I am trying to start my own cake business from home, but that has been slow too. anyway just wanted to say loved the pinky and the brain bit