Welcome to the new, permanent home of Fat Wallet, the premier resource for finding fat-friendly philanthropies. We began Fat Wallet as a way to support a few small projects we believed in, but have seen multiple fundraising projects being announced which we want to succeed.
All the projects below will support fat-positive fundraisers that benefit Fat Acceptance in some form. This page will be updated periodically as new philanthropies arrive and successful philanthropies move on to the next phase.
If you are interested in advertising your philanthropy here, please contact atchka at hotmail to begin the process.
- Olympic weightlifter Holley Mangold is asking for help in supporting her friend and teammate, Heather Smith, raise $5,000 in travel expenses to compete in the 2012 Weightlifting World University Games in Israel this November. Mangold is coaching Smith and believes she has the makings of a future Olympian. Read more about their cause and donate.
- Trail-blazing model Velvet d’Amour is seeking to raise $10,000 to fund the next issue of her fashion magazine, VOLUP2, which focuses on a diverse definition of beauty that includes bodies of all shapes, sizes and abilities. Read more about VOLUP2 and donate.
- Annie Segara, founder of Stop Hating Your Body, has a personal fundraiser to help realize her dream of working for Disney World. She must move immediately and needs financial help defraying the costs of uprooting herself so quickly. She has not set a limit as she is looking for any help she can get to Disney World. Read more about her dream and donate.
- Mandy Fierens, The Curvy Blogger, is raising $5,000 to launch a line of three plus-sized dresses under her new brand, Zaftig Clothing. Read more about Zaftig Clothing and donate.
- Dr. Pattie Thomas and Carl Wilkerson, the husband and wife sociology superteam, need to raise at least $5,000 pre-production funds for their documentary User Friendly Vegas. They hope to raise a maximum of $10,000 to create the highest quality product, which Pattie and Carl describe in great detail in their guest post on the project. If you want to support Pattie, please consider donating to the GoFundMe page, or for donations under $5, which help them reach their goal of 1,000 donors, give the PayPal account. And if you support this project, feel free to use the graphic below with a link to GoFundMe. Thanks everyone!
To KL Going, Matthew Lillard and everyone involved with the production of Fat Kid Rules the World who have reached their $150,000 goal and will now promote the movie in conjunction with the 42-city Vans Warped Tour; pay for marketing, publicity and distribution consultants; and pay for regional and national advertising in newspapers, magazines, on Facebook, on Twitter and elsewhere online.
To Holley Mangold, Sarah Robles and the women’s weightlifting team, who made a powerful showing at the 2012 Olympics. Robles took 7th place and Mangold took 10th, despite having severed her tendon.
Flying Pig Apparel came $3,000 short of its goal. But Rene has expressed optimism in the fact that people were willing to invest $8,037 to support them means that there is a market waiting for their product. We wish Rene, Bobby, Barb, and Audre the best of luck in their endeavors and we look forward to their hand-crafted plus-sized athletic wear!
Sara Koffi’s Indiegogo page raised $1,452 of its $5,000 goal. Despite not reaching its financial goal to create a feature length film, Koffi has decided to move forward with its project with the funds it has received. “Seeing as we were unable to fully reach the funds needed to create a film, that won’t be financially possible at the moment. However, after fundraising for 7 weeks and getting to talk to people and see why they supported or liked the idea, we came up with something that we think is going to work out great. The script for Class Dismissed is in the process of being converted from a feature film to a 12 episode web series.” Read more about Koffi’s future plans here.